The past month has seen differences in expected weather patterns all around the world, and New Zealand has also seen hotter than usual or wetter than usual impacts in various regions.
Autumn is the season of change and transformation, and it’s generally considered an ideal time to focus on healthy living. With that in mind, here are some tips for healthy living while we approach autumn.
- Stay active: As the weather cools down, it’s tempting to spend more time indoors. However, staying active is essential for maintaining good health. Consider going for a brisk walk or jog in the park, taking a yoga class, or trying a new workout routine. Whatever your preferred method of exercise, make sure to keep moving and stay active.
- Eat seasonal produce: Autumn is a great time to take advantage of the fresh produce available. Apples, pumpkins, squash, and sweet potatoes are just a few of the delicious and healthy foods that are in season during autumn. Incorporating these foods into your diet can help boost your immune system and keep you feeling energized.
- Get enough sleep: With all the stresses of life, not least changing weather, it’s important to prioritize sleep. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night, and try to establish a regular sleep schedule. Avoid using electronic devices before bedtime, and create a relaxing bedtime routine to help you fall asleep faster.
- Stay hydrated: Even though the weather might get cooler, it’s still important to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and consider incorporating warm beverages like herbal tea or hot water with lemon into your routine.
- Manage stress: Life can be busy and stressful, with school starting up. Make sure to take time for yourself and prioritize stress management techniques like meditation, deep breathing, or yoga.
Overall, healthy living all through the year is all about balance. By staying active, eating seasonal produce, getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, and managing stress, you can stay healthy and happy throughout each season.